Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Day 179 ~ Grow it! Use seeds to make something.

The best laid plans of (in this case rabbits and women)... In anticipation of this day's project, about 10 days ago I planted some lettuce seeds in the shape of a heart. (What!? Not a horse?) Silly me, I didn't cover them in any way, so just as they were making their entrance into the world the baby bunny who hangs around here helped herself. Must have been yummy.

So we will make this count, a plant grown from seeds I planted about a month ago, I guess. I got three packs of seeds, one of zucchini, one of yellow squash and one packet of pumpkin seeds. I dug shallow holes in various places around our property, like, in some of the flower beds, beside the manure pile, in the asparagus garden which had been rendered non-producing, thanks to a relative of aforementioned lettuce seedling eater, distinctly pro-producing...Anyway, I planted all three seed varieties together just to see what would happen ~ what would sprout, what would survive to bear fruit. So far there are many beautiful plants coming up all around and I don't know for sure which of the three they are. If they do make it past the rabbits and deer to fruition, then we will know!

Incidentally, if anyone knows what the plant is in this photo, don't tell me. I want it to be a surprise. And, I'd like to give a shout out to the extraordinary photographer, Aundrea Humphreys, for the idea of taking a photo from a perspective other than what might be obvious.

1 comment:

Nan said...

What a lovely photo! Good luck with future ID of the plants (we can take bets out here). nice going!