Saturday, January 5, 2013

Post square 010113.

I took the main front page photo of the Washington Post on January 1st, and found a square inch that I thought would make an interesting design. I made an abstract sketch from it and blew it up to a drawing measuring 4.5" X 4.25". You may recognize some of the classical architectural forms of the DC buildings from the photograph.

I used the graphite again, specifically an Ebony Layout pencil, under the colored pencil and smudged it. The stronger, little black squares on the pink are done with ink over the pencil. Again, using randomly chosen colors. The columns in the bottom right were royal blue with that yellow (yuk) and I toned it down by smearing over the blue with the yellow creating that sort of hairy effect and I like that.

No comments: