Thursday, April 11, 2013

Start of a new series

This is the first in a series of 12 animal drawings based on the golden section or spiral.

I knew I wanted to do this series and was having trouble figuring out just how I wanted to approach it. Then I saw Mishi, with his gorgeous contrasting black and white coat and his deep green eyes, curled up on the kitchen floor, which provided a warm brown background to offset the naturally rich graphic design that he is. And that was all I needed.

I don't remember how the golden spiral came into the equation, but I've had a great time creating the 12 designs. I'll post them as I get them colored in.

Using the colored pencil technique I was playing with for the Post Squares earlier this year, I also took from that experience the abstracted shape thing to create borders for the images. The shapes come from sections of the drawings, by laying a strip of tracing paper over the outline and repeating what's been traced. For coloring, I'm combining random with deliberate choices.

It's 5X7, proportioned for reproduction on cards and prints. I also plan to do the series as larger (24X32) acrylic paintings on wood panels.

No comments: