Wednesday, August 24, 2016

8 New Paintings on Panels

These eight new paintings on panels are for the show I have opening this Friday at the Washington County Arts Council in Hagerstown, MD. 

The first four were completely different at one point. Many hours put into paintings that I just couldn't find a connection with no matter how much I fussed with them. So, they were sanded, more layers were scraped onto the surface and I started over finding details to enhance. I'm much happier with what happened the second time. Sometimes I just have to work through that process and trust that something good will happen. 


Everything That Ticked
Acrylic, black and white charcoal, chalk and oil pastel
20” X 20” X 2” wood panel
Just a note on this one - see the ridges of blue in the bottom section? That is the oil pastel getting caught on the uneven surface of the board. I happen to think it works to my advantage here and I like the way it looks, but if you are going to work on wood panels and don't want that kind of flaw, you may want to sand the surface to make sure it is flat.


The Soul Familiar
Acrylic, charcoal, oil pastel, gauze
12” X 12” X 2” wood panel


A World Determined II
Acrylic, black and white charcoal, oil pastel
18” X 24” X 2” wood panel


Without Pause
Acrylic, black and white charcoal
18” X 24” X 2” wood panel


Latitude of Home
Acrylic, black and white charcoal
20” X 20” X 2” wood panel


As Much As On the Air
Acrylic, black and white charcoal
12” X 12” X 2” wood panel


Sure To Me You Bring
Acrylic, charcoal, oil pastel
24” x 36” X 2” wood panel


The Whole Way
Acrylic, charcoal, oil pastel, gauze
24” x 36” X 2” wood panel

When I downloaded these to the blog I noticed a pattern of pairs. I wasn't aware of that when I was working on them. And, as usual, I worked on all eight in turns, leaving one to rest, to go to another in hopes of some answers to help resolve the problems of the previous one. 

I see now that there are two loose, abstract ones with the birds and boat/pod shape, two loose, abstract landscapes, two fanciful landscapes and two high horizon ridges with trees. I guess this reflects the different approaches I take to imagery depending on my mood. 

I can tell you that the ones I connect with the most are the first two. When I'm painting like that, I feel most authentic. It's not always easy to get there. Sometimes takes an act of desperation, like totally painting over an image on which I've spent days, which I have to tell you, is a very satisfying feeling. 

No comments: