Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Post square 012113 ~ Sworn In

I spent all day on this. And the whole time I was working on it I was thinking it was one of the least successful of this series so far. I was just being too careful. Staying in the lines. Didn't start with an idea of what I wanted to accomplish or try.

I started with the random color thing, doing the 4 big stripes on the bottom first. Each of those stripes is composed of three (randomly chosen) colors layered one on top of the other. I then repeated those colors for the top curved forms, but used them with more shading and variation. I did the weird little ball and stripe thing last, using the same colors, but singularly. And that really wasn't working, way too flat and oddly graphic for the rest if it. So I went over it with one of the lighter pencils and then scraped the color off the yellow circles with an Exacto knife blade, which improved it a little bit, but not enough! Oh well, better luck next time, huh?

The image is part of the drapery behind President Obama and family as he took the oath of office.


No comments: