Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Post square 013013 ~ Where Millie Dances

Every day, since the beginning of this year, I have looked at the main photo on the front page of the Washington Post and chosen one square inch to blow up into an abstract drawing, measuring approximately 4 or 5 inches square. I call these drawings "Post squares" and I number them according to the date they are drawn. I title them in a way that relates to the image of the original photo. I generally use colored pencil on bristol board.

The title of this drawing refers to my great niece (and she is great), who is a ballerina. She is eleven years old and has been getting some pretty cool dance gigs at the Kennedy Center in Washington DC. Millie was most recently a beautiful hedgehog in the National Ballet of Canada's performance of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

The square inch this drawing comes from was part of a photo of the Kennedy Center, which is due for an expansion. The only part of the celebrated building included is the white shape in the middle on the right side. I liked the shapes of what I'm guessing is the Watergate in the background and then what I think are probably headlights on the road shining into the Potomac River.



No comments: