Thursday, January 24, 2013

Post square 012413 ~ Visiting Lincoln

This one came out pretty weird, huh? It's the first one I've wanted to turn any way except the way I drew it. Here it's up-side-down from the composition in the photograph. The green shape on the right is the knee of a sightseer climbing the steps to the Lincoln Memorial.

So, what is the blobby pattern in the background? Here's what I did. It's something I've wanted to try for a while. I found a photograph I took of snow that was melting around gravel, cropped a detail of it to a square and printed the image on a piece of bristol board. I drew the composition from the Post photo over the print. Then I did my random pencil thing, choosing two at a time and using the darkest pencil of the two on the dark blobs and the lightest one over it to color in that section. It has a sort of spacey 3-D look to it, don't you think?




No comments: