Thursday, January 7, 2016

Drawing/Day 1.6.16


This wasn't a one-day drawing. I've been working on it, along with 7 other small black and white pieces, for a few months. They will be in a show I'm curating called "In Black and White" - a collection of work by 14 artists using a variety of media - at the Ice House Gallery in Berkeley Springs, WV - opening Jan. 15th and there until Feb. 28th.

Black and white is a challenge if you are used to being able to grab a color to solve a problem. I struggled mightily with this one in particular because I just could not get the top half to work with the bottom.

On this day I was able to complete the painting to my satisfaction by adding that component of what looks like a pile or wall of rocks. I had spent the morning hiking with friends on the Appalachian Trail. Around here there are a lot of massive limestone formations, as well as structures built with the stuff. I can't help but be drawn to it. And it solved my problem.

The painting/drawing is 3.5" X 5.5", ink wash, charcoal, acrylic, colored pencil, graphite and probably some pastel.


No comments: