Sunday, January 24, 2016

Drawing/Day 1.23.16 Finished painting



I posted a detail of this painting yesterday and I think it is finished now. It is 20" X 26", acrylic, black and white charcoal, oil pastel, Pellon, ink, black gesso.

I've been thinking about creating an image that is not chopped into sections, for example, that doesn't look like two paintings butted together, but rather has an integrated composition, so that all parts are equal in strength and compliment each other. This is hard to do (for me). I study other painters' work that I think does this. The composition of a painting I'm working on now is influenced by a work by Lyonel Feininger, who was a master at integrating imagery in a cohesive way. The painting above was easily in danger of being cut into two sections, with the strong "horizon" line two-thirds of the way up. The black and white striped lines in the top right quarter, which are painted Pellon that was cut into strips and appliqued on, I continued with charcoal pencil down into the ochre bottom to attempt to connect the two sections. This still isn't a strong solution and I'm hoping to show a better job of integrating in the next painting, and improve more on this in the paintings to come.

No comments: