Sunday, February 3, 2013

Post square 020313 ~ "It's a Zen thing."

"It's a Zen thing." Robert K. Farago's way of decribing the visceral pleasure he experiences when he fires a gun.

Zen \ 'zen \ n : a Japanese sect of Mahayana Buddhism that aims at enlightenment by direct intuition through meditation. (Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary) I just wanted to clarify what the word Zen refers to, a word that is misused almost as much as the word love.
 
The following points are those that I was most struck by as I read Joel Achenbach's article on the front page of today's Washington Post. The story is about a man who is "ready to protect himself and his right to bear arms".


Robert K. Farago is relatively new to guns, but the blog he started soon after he discovered his passion for them, got close to 7 million page views last month.

His mother, a major art benefactor, and donator of a huge collection to a Boston museum, doesn't like her son's new interest very much. 

His 9-year-old daughter, whom he has custody of, thinks that the teachers at the Quaker school she attends
should have guns. "So they can defend us," she says.

Robert K. Farago likes to wear his Glock 30SF, in a holster under his jacket, to Starbucks. He says it makes him feel "grown up".
 
After I read this article, I felt as though my stomach was full of rocks, which is how I react when I'm horrified. I chose the detail of the photo for my drawing, this time, based on the proximity of the business end of Mr. Farago's rifle. I wanted to be as far away from it as possible. So for my composition I used the blinds on the window from which he is staring...rifle held diagonally across his torso, protecting his daughter, his miniature schnauzers, his Persian rugs, his art collection and his Mercedes.

The drawing was done with charcoal and one off-white colored pencil. I did it quickly. Didn't feel much like hanging out with this subject too long.









No comments: