Friday, April 10, 2015

5 square paintings and one rectangle

The grid (from the last post) was starting to feel a little confining and even confusing. It was hard to make the composition work. And I didn't feel as though I could smear and scrape as is my wont. 

I stayed with the square, for the most part, with these studies and returned to an old inspiration for help with composition. I cut up a photo from the newspaper into 1 inch squares and used the abstract lines to give me something to work with. 
 14X14 Arcylic, charcoal and colored pencil. Painted over many, many times.

 8X8 Arcylic, charcoal and colored pencil. Many layers.

  8X8 Arcylic, charcoal and colored pencil. Many layers.

  8X8 Arcylic, charcoal and colored pencil. Many layers.

  8X8 Arcylic, charcoal and colored pencil. And again, many layers.

8X12  Arcylic and charcoal. Many paintings underneath, starting with a large, black, rather sinister looking cat behind white, climbing vines.  

No comments: