Friday, June 17, 2016

Paintings on Pillars 6.17.16

I've made the transitions from painting on paper to boxes and now pillars. These are acrylic and charcoal on cardboard cement forms. They are about 7 feet tall, including the 20" square base.


It was Bridge Gallery owner, Kathryn Burns who suggested to me that she saw my paintings on pillars and asked me to do some for her Summer Show. I had already made the move from flat paper to wood panels so it seemed like a great idea to me.

I found the 16" diameter forms at Home Depot. I first painted the surface with gesso which I scored with a spatula to create lines, shapes and texture. I then stained the piece with a yellow ochre base, added some gold and from there started picking out details from the gesso's surface to enhance with charcoal line first then acrylic paint. I started at the bottom and painted along the spiral line created by the paper wrapped around the tube, which I treated as a horizon, until I got to the top. I found creatures and structures and gave them color and credence.


The tops are wood discs in which I drilled holes and glued painted sticks. This second one also has a bird's nest I found at the barn.

Here's a detail of the top of the first one...


No comments: