Saturday, February 22, 2014

Shadow box #4 in the "Inside and Outside" series

Shadow box #4 in the "Inside and Outside" series. Untitled as of yet.

It's 12"X12". You might have seen the colored pencil drawing of the horses and trees alone, which I posted a few days ago on Facebook. The trees continue onto the top as they do in the last two boxes. The panels on the sides contain white horse hair from violin bows, wrapped in yarn with small brass doodads (I guess they are for jewelry.) The four little blocks at the bottom are pieces (glued to the drawing surface) I made by cutting and laminating pieces of paper painted with acrylics. Sort of like quilt pieces. You can see the pattern is the same, the pieces of paper are switched for each block. There are wood "walls" between the drawing and the horse hair panels and a "beam" across the front, all carved on the edges to take away the manufactured look. The tiny black horse is made of clay and was one of my 365 projects (Day 175 ~ Create a tiny version of something that would normally be much bigger). There are some curly grasses wrapped round the beam, too. I coated them with acrylic gel medium. This was hard to photograph, to get the richness of the drawing and, at the same time, the detail of the dark recessed places. I did my best!

No comments: